Title: Chicago, Illinois. One of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad’s ‘400’ fleet of locomotives lined up for coal and water at a coaling station.
Date: December 1942
Photographer: Jack Delano
The Chicago and North Western Railway’s Class E-4 comprised nine coal-burning streamlined 4-6-4 “Hudson” steam locomotives built in 1937 by Alco.
They were built to haul the road’s famous “400” express passenger trains, but before they were even delivered the railroad’s management decided that streamlined steam was the wrong direction and instead placed orders with General Motors Electro-Motive Division for new diesel locomotives. The displaced E-4.s instead worked other trains until they were withdrawn from service in 1953 and scrapped. The nine E-4s were almost identical in specification and purpose to the Milwaukee Road’s six class F7 locomotives, and they were built by the same builder at the same time, yet they were different in almost every detail of design. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNW_Class_E-4)