Title: USS Illinois
Photographer: Detroit Publishing Co.
USS Illinois (BB-7) was a pre-dreadnought battleship built for the United States Navy. She was the lead ship of the Illinois class, and was the second ship of the U.S. Navy to be named for the 21st state. Her keel was laid in February 1897 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, and she was launched in October 1898. She was commissioned in September 1901. The ship was armed with a main battery of four 13-inch (330 mm) guns and she had a top speed of 16 knots (30 km/h; 18 mph).
Illinois served with the European Squadron from 1902 to 1903, and with the North Atlantic Fleet until 1907, by which time it had been renamed the Atlantic Fleet. During this time, she accidentally collided with two other battleships. From December 1907 to February 1909, she circumnavigated the globe with the Great White Fleet. From November 1912, the ship was used as a training ship. She was lent to the state of New York in 1919 for use as a training vessel for the New York State Militia. The ship was converted into a floating armory in 1924 as a result of the Washington Naval Treaty, and it was under this guise that she served for the next thirty years. In January 1941 she was renamed Prairie State and reclassified as IX-15 so that the name could be given to Illinois, a projected Iowa-class battleship. Prairie State was ultimately sold for scrap in 1956. [Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Illinois_(BB-7)%5D